Wednesday, June 10, 2015

That was a first

I've been running for years, and something happened this weekend that hadn't happened to me before. I've ducked behind trees, and bushes for number 1 before, but never have I needed to go 2. I know it happens often, but it was a first for me.
I was doing a late evening long run with a number of hills, and just as I was hitting the last hill on the way out I had some stomach pain, and gas. I shrugged it off, as I typically pass gas during longer runs, but by the third time it happened my head was on a swivel looking for a port-a- potty. I came up on one of ball parks in town, and I quickly ran down the lane looking for the bathroom. All I can say, is thank you for still having your bathrooms unlocked at 9pm on a Sunday.
I look at it this way, it's just like getting in the distance; it's 'money in the bank'. It's an experience, and I know what to pay attention to now.
Now on to a better discussion; running. I've finished my first training week for the Tely 10 here in St. John's in July, and I'm feeling great, and if training goes as well for this race as the half I did in May, I'm getting the PB I'm looking for. The weather is finally warming up, and I'm enjoying my runs along the many trails through the city, and surrounding area.
The hardest thing about training with a young family is getting everything done both family wise and running. I typically run at 5am during the week as my family is 'usually' still asleep. With the sun coming up earlier now, our oldest has been frequently waking up when I'm gone, and that in turn wakes up our youngest (not yet 2). They're not getting the rest they need, and they are cranky all day, so I try and do some runs at night, but that takes me away from helping out around the house once they're asleep, and spending time with my wife. If I run in the morning, I can spend lunch time walking with my wife, and then the evenings we watch some TV or read some books. It's a hard balance of running/family life, and I'm trying my best to keep everyone happy. Hopefully as the summer progresses, the children will be tired enough that my early runs can happen and I can to spend as much time as I can/want with my family, and still get in all the training I need for the Tely 10 and the STWM in the fall.

No comments: